We’ve got a very special guest post for you today from Chris’ wife, Cheryl. Cheryl has some advice for the wives (or husbands) of all the disc golfers out there which should be especially helpful for those who’s spouse just picked up disc golf! Here’s what she has to say.
So your husband just picked up disc golf… don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you’re marriage is a complete fail. You’ll need to work on your patience a lot but there are few things that you can do to be prepared without extensive research on disc golf.
- Make sure all dinner plates are square.
- On the same note, avoid circular foods such as cookies and tortilla shells.
- Keep a can of spackle on hand at all times for when your husband misses (even though he knows he’s not supposed to throw discs inside the house).
- That perfect sitting area in your yard, you know the one with the perfect view of the sunset? Forget the bench, this area is now reserved for his permanent disc golf basket.
- Be aware that disc golf discussions may suddenly occur at any given time. Equip yourself with agreeing words like “oh” and “that’s awesome” remembering that if you act too interested you’ll give yourself away that you’re not actually listening.
- Keep a set of discs in your car at all times. You never know when you’ll pass somewhere he wants to stop and throw, and believe me it’s just better to be prepared and let him throw than spend the next 3 hour car ride listening to him repeat that he wishes he had his discs.
- Do not allow your husband to hide discs under the pillow. He may claim it’s a safety precaution in case of an intruder but in reality he truly believes it will subconsciously improve his form.
- So it’s his birthday. Forget gifts from the heart. He won’t feel you actually, truly, love him unless you’re buying him discs.
- When you hear him talking to someone about a NutSac, Kaxe, or a Pig, don’t be alarmed. Chances are he’s just shopping for new disc golf loot. Hopefully.
- Be ready for innuendos that will make him think he’s hilarious. I mean really, how many times can you laugh at jokes about the size of his disc?
- Be ready for every vacation destination to be based on where the highest rated disc golf course is. If you’re smart you’ll use this to your advantage and find one near a shopping mall. He won’t dare point out how much money you spent when you mention he spent your family vacation on the course.
- When he starts buying multi colored battery operated lights and glow sticks don’t be concerned. He’s not setting up a rave.
- If you use his favorite disc to scrape the ice off your car be prepared to learn why you have sabotaged the disc’s flight.
- Apparently there is a difference between a disc and a Frisbee. But don’t ask unless you’re prepared for the three hour seminar.
- As the saying goes, “If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.” Truth is, this is not the worst addiction he can have. So grab a disc and join him for some good bonding time in the great outdoors. You may even have fun… but don’t let him find that out!
If you haven’t yet, come check out the DG Puttheads Facebook page!